In Ireland, you don't need to comb your hair

Dangling on the cliff, no matter there is fierce wind or heavy storm, 
those lovely yellow flowers stand.
Say MUUU! The bus window added a shade of blue.
You can see Scotland so soon...

My trip to United Kingdom has come to end and now I am back to the Finnish world. I had a funny feeling when I first stepped foot on England...Everything is in English! I understand them all! Since I have lived in a non-English country for some time and speak their language, English has become exotic! This may sound weird, I know...

My first destination was Belfast, a not-too-popular city for tourists. Despite its dark history and conflicts, the murals still stand. However, this does not mean that Belfast is a dangerous city. Small in size, everywhere is in walkable distance. I could take my time and walk at a comfortable pace. All my worries were blown away instantly once I was embraced by the Irish friendliness.

It is quite easy to spot an Irish. Irish folks are big-hearted and warm. They speak English with thick accent, answer you with "ay" "ay", slap your back like a buddy and they simply love to chat. We may have a stereotypical picture of their appearance- reddish hair and freckles everywhere. In reality, they come in all colours. But still, these stereotypical physical traits make them cuter. You just can't hate them. 

When speaking of Ireland, nature must not be excluded. Northern Ireland is so tiny that you can drive and reach the other end within two hours, the journey is short but impressive and breathtaking indeed. From virescent valleys to high rough cliffs, munching sheep to robust evergreen, Ireland offers a wide range of varieties. I am enthralled by their wilderness.

On my last day, when I was wandering alone on the "Titanic" side of Belfast, a bunch of schoolgirls from the very north flocked around me and started asking me questions. Innocent and curious, they raised numerous questions. It indeed had taken me some time to adjust as they have really strong accents. A girl slumped when I asked for repetitions. I felt bad instantly. One of her classmates then asked, "Do you understand us? What do you think about our accent?" I answered without hesitation, that Irish accents are nice and I enjoy hearing them. Back when I was a child in Hong Kong, folks tried to follow the standard, aka British or American English. Some strove so hard for it in order to gain compliments or respect. I used to think in this way as well. Once I left Hong Kong, I came to realize that our accents are part of our identities. They represent our cultures and people. I am also proud of our rich mixture of vocablulary. Who else on Earth will talk like us? That is why we have to value our own assets. 

Irish girls, keep your accent. It makes you special.



A grandpa teaching his boy nature,"...one day you will go to school and learn,"


沒有留言:

張貼留言